Thursday, March 6, 2008

Seventh of 2008

See

My fiance has a mastercard through CitiBank, which belongs to the Thank You Network. How it works is simple: each time you charge something with your credit card, you earn points. You also can earn points by booking travel through expedia, through certain car rental services, and through certain retail chains like The Gap.

Over the years we wracked up enough points to redeem a pretty snazzy camera. We went with this model, the Panasonic Lumix FZ8 DMC-FZ8. I've just played around with it a bit, but I am eager to learn how to master all its bells and whistles. It will be so wonderful to have such a high quality camera for our next trip to Hawai`i.



We had some points left over so we added on this digital underwater camera. Supposedly it doesn't take very good out-of-water photos, but for snorkeling (and in the bathtub maybe?) it seems to excel. Now I can capture all those bright yellow fish I see!



Yet, a third camera? Yes, indeed. Our simple and sleek Canon (insert exact model) deteriorated, finally forcing us to not even try to capture moments with it. It began to create horizontal lines that cut through the image. So long old friend. I do like the newer model better, and it will be nice to have a familiar camera that can easily be stuffed in my pocket along with the more complicated Panasonic for when we choose to be more artful in our photography.



Eat

Who is this fiance, you say? His name is Dan Garlington and he just started a new food blog, documenting each day what he cooks and eats with pictures and commentary. Check out What's Cookin' Good Lookin' for great recipes from a man who loves food (all kinds)!



This will also let you know what I'm eating, too, which begs the question of what direction this section should take. Hmmm...

Drink

Tuesday I took the day off, and met my friend Ruth for a late lunch of wine and cheese at bustling Cafe Presse at 12th and Madison. This was my second trip, the first being a dinner date with my fiance to redeem a gift card we had received.

I had just been to the doctor that morning (more on that soon) and was ready for some vino! I went with the server's suggestion for a crisp White, and it was exceptional. I wish I remembered the name; it started with a G. I had a cheese plate, while Ruth had the Croque Madame. At 2pm, the front area was almost at capacity so I slipped in the back to grab a table. It, too, was fairly occupied. It eventually cleared out, as we sipped our wine and chatted as the sun spilled through the high windows. It's a very pleasant way to spend an afternoon.

My lunch:


Me and my lunch:


Read

I finished up Access: Introduction to Travel & Tourism. It did not turn me away from wanting to pursue a career in that industry, but I do think there will be challenges with finding a way in that doesn't require a huge pay cut or dealing directly with the public. But I'm confident that in time, if it's still what I want, I will find a way! The information is presented very clearly, the chapters seem just the right length and the activities and questions make you reflect and flex your muscles. I can see why it's used often in a classroom setting.

Next, after catching up on the latest issue of Hana Hou, is this guide to wedding readings and vows, from "The Knot."



Picking readings for a wedding is challenging, as it turns out. It's easy to recollect all the books you've enjoyed, or that have had some riveting impact on your life. But finding specific passages that seem appropriate in length and theme for a wedding ceremony so far has been tricky. Maybe this will help!

Remember


An old friend of mine, a very talented actor and writer, has created a new blog called 40licious and it's all about being 40 in youth-obsessed Los Angeles. I can vouch for Vanessa having very keen insights and a natural ability to find humor in everyday life.

And speaking of blogging, this will be the last (for now) of the sorta-weekly newsletter-y format. I will now attempt to blog more regularly, as these things actually happen as I realize that is when blogging is at its most relevant. I will stick to the same headings, though, but they may not always be the in the same order.

So, we'll see how yet another direction goes with this here blog!

Worry


I passed my physical with flying colors! Hurray, and yes I'm a silly worry-wort.

The people on the Big Island, though, have something to worry about. There is a disturbing movement to genetically modify crops in the agriculture industry there (and in all of Hawai`i), including the culturally significant taro.

Leave their poi alone I say!

1 comment:

what's cookin', good lookin'? said...

Thanks for the props on my new food blog. I hope I'm not stealing thunder from your 'Eat' section! I still want to see your insights and thoughts on our meals. xoxo dan