Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Fun weekend!

Eat/Drink/See/Remember

I had a super fun weekend!

It started out on Friday with happy hour at Luau, my favorite Seattle bar to celebrate my sister Lisa's last day of work at Amazon. She is now a free agent so we all toasted to that. I had my usual Mai Tai, as I'm sure I've mentioned before that they are the best in town. For dinner, I tried one of the last remaining items on the menu I hadn't yet tasted, the Fried Rice with Sausage. Yum! Leftovers for a great Sunday breakfast, too.



Since we had so many people in our party, we go to sit in the ultra-cool Bora Bora room, which is usually reserved for private parties and requires a fee. It has a nice fish tank that my nephew Jack enjoyed almost as much as his Sprite with cocktail umbrellas!

Saturday morning we awoke early and headed to the Woodland Park Zoo to meet up with my future in-laws for the Garlington Mother's Day fun. It had been years since I'd been to that zoo, and I was impressed by now well they keep the grounds and by the expansive exhibits. I had a great time with my new camera.







It also happened to be "Mom & Me," the second busiest day of the year at the zoo so we opted to go elsewhere for lunch. I had just read in one of the Seattle magazines about May in Wallingford, supposedly the best Thai in the city. It wasn't crowded so we were seated immediately and the lunch menu appears to be the same as the dinner one so all options were available to us. I went with the red curry w/ chicken.



Delicious with some nice heat (as they say on Top Chef!). Dan's parents both ordered the Phad Thai and they mixed it right at the table. All in all, I was impressed by the decor, service, presentation and tasty food. I will be back, maybe to try to lounge downstairs for happy hour. I hear they make a mean cocktail.

After a few quick stops (EE Robbins to pick up our rings being one of them!) and a brief stop at home to wrap Mom's day gift #2, it was back to Wallingford to celebrate the Dembiczak matriarch. My sisters had taken my mom out to a day at the spa, lunch and shopping so we opted for casual this year with some pizzas and a salad. The pies came from Olympia Pizza, which used to be a favorite dining spot for us when we lived on Capitol Hill. It was a pleasant reunion, as I scarfed down 3 slices of garlic chicken.



And for dessert, my sister Lisa brought some tasty chocolate chip cookies.



With all the excitement of Friday and Saturday, it was nice to not have any plans on Sunday. I attended to usual Sunday chores (laundry, grocery shopping, preparing for the work week) in addition to finally planting some veggies! We'll see how green my thumb is, but the line-up is: basil, squash, broccoli, red pepper, cucumber and tomatoes. Dan made great strides with the patio, and I helped him on the first shift. Lifting concrete is hard work!

Only 29 days until we leave for Hilo!

No comments: