Wednesday, July 16, 2008

I love summer

See

My vegetable garden is a bit of a success! We harvested broccoli last week, and had it with our dinner.



What an accomplished feeling to create our own food! Doing well also: squash, cucumber, carrots, tomato

Still hope, but in need of a comeback: basil, red pepper.

So, it turns out I really dig gardening (veggies in particular). I'd like to learn more, and next year build some raised beds to keep the critters out. I was too late for rhubarb this year, and that's one crop I really enjoy. Reminds me of growing up and eating the sauce and pies and cobblers and jams my mom would make from the garden we had in the backyard.

Eat

I've been to Cafe Flora twice in the past week, both sort of related to work. Last week I was invited to a dinner with the Database Resarch group (who I work with) and I tried the Yakima Valley polenta. It came with many seasonal fruits and veggies (bing cherries, snap peas, kale) and some cheese and a raspberry coulis. It was tasty, but nothing can beat their yam fries with cayenne aioli. Yum.

Last night my co-worker Ashish and his wife, Shalene took us out to celebrate our recent wedding (really, I don't know when it will all end with the generosity, but I'm completely grateful and surprised when it happens). I suggested Cafe Flora because I knew Shalene didn't eat meat, and I think it was a good choice. This time I had the "french dip" which used portobello mushroom instead of roast beef. It was served on a nice toasty bun with melted swiss cheese, along with a cup of mushroom au jus and a nice helping of those delicious yam fries. Beyond gastronomical delights, the evening was full of good energy, catching up and learning a bit more about each other.

Drink

It's summer so anything cold seems epicurean, but last week I got hold of a Chateau St. Michele Dry Rose that knocked my socks off! I have to re-post the label when I get the image uploaded. But who knew? Rose. Yum.

Update: here is the pic, taken near our recycling bin



Read

I have been reading this book I got in Hilo last month. It is a bit dense at times (particularly in summer, on a crowded bus, which is too often when I find time to read), but the encyclopedia style is user-friendly and helpful if you get lost or need to go back and reference something you didn't fully absorb the first time. It is essentially a look at Hawaiian words, what they meant in ancient times, how they related to a specific belief or custom and what the significance is (in 1972) today.

I think the book is targeted toward case workers so that they can better understand their clients of native Hawaiian descent, but for Hawaii-philes like myself there is definitely plenty to dig into from a purely cultural awareness perspective.

Remember

I just volunteered to help with the first ever Live Aloha Festival happening on September 7th from 11am-7pm at Seattle Center. Every year as part of their FESTAL programming they offer up a whole weekend for a particular culture. So far Hawai`i has been left out. But this year, thanks to many who rallied for it, a one-day festival will take place in hopes for future expansion. More on that to come!

Also, I went to Discovery Park for the first time EVER on Saturday. What a beautiful spot! We hiked on the trails for an hour or more, soaking up the sun and enjoying the natural surroundings.

I love summer!

1 comment:

what's cookin', good lookin'? said...

I love your veggie garden, too! I can't wait for zucchini and cucumber and tomatoes and carrots and basil (which is looking better lately) and maybe even some peppers. xoxo