Thursday, July 31, 2008

Making a Living and eating it

See

Tuesday night Dan, our good pal Ruth and I ventured out to Rebar, to see the Brown Derby's latest concoction of camp, hilarity and irreverance: a staged reading of the movie 9 to 5.

It had been a while since I had seen one of their shows, but I knew a lot of the actors in this one and really wanted to make the effort. I'm glad I did, as it was thoroughly entertaining - and I hadn't even seen the movie. I think my friend Scott as the alcoholic office worker with bizarre wig was my favorite.

The show closes tonight. Doors open at 7pm and tickets are $14. Opening night was packed.



Eat/Drink

Before the show we had dinner at Machiavelli , a restaurant I always tend to forget about. Dan and I had our second date there, and I believe I've been there two other times in all the years I've lived in Seattle/Capitol Hill.


This time I tried the spinach shells with Italian sausage and marinara, and we shared a bottle of white wine. The prices are very reasonable and the menu is straightforward but offers enough diversity to require some decision making.



I'm partial to La Spiga for Italian food on Capitol Hill, but I think Machiavelli is worthy of keeping on the ol' radar. It can sometimes get really crowded, which has turned me away a few times, but early weeknights seem to be optimal for quick, affordable, tasty dinners.

Read

I finally finished Look to the Source. I picked up some valuable insights into the Hawaiian belief system (both ancient, and as interpreted today). Much of it had to do with rituals around death and grieving, though, so I had to fight my inner superstitious worrier.

I am now reading Fornander's Ancient History of the Hawaiian People to the Times of Kamehameha I with introduction by Glen Grant.

Abraham Fornander was a Swedish emigrant who came to Hawai`i by way of the whaling industry, and later became a successful journalist who boldly made his stance as anti-missionary and devoted much of his life to educating the world on the history of the Hawaiian people. He fought against the missionary's idea that until the haole "discovered" Hawai`i, there was no means of civilization or order. This book is actually the second volume of a complete history of ancient Polynesia, but has been re-printed and targeted to those with a specific interest in Hawai`i's past.

Remember

I have been a little side-tracked lately with our Hawai`i Blog. Check it out!

My brother-in-law is running for Judge of King County Superior Court. He has had a phenomenal career as a Prosecuting Attorney, is an undeniable leader in the field of law and is unequivocally dedicated to justice.

To learn more, check out his web site. The primary is August 19th!

Worry

This cat needs a home!

No comments: